Saturday 28 April 2012

Music Magazine Analysis: Double Page Spread #1



Double Page Spread Analysis #1
This double page spread taken from The Source uses a simple black and white colour scheme; although it isn’t colourful it still stands out effectively with a professional appearance. I think if The Source had chosen bold colours with this spread, the article would look too overwhelming and wouldn’t fit the styling and personality of the featured artist.
After I take my photos I will experiment on them by changing the hue of aspects of clothing my model wears, matching those to the colour scheme of my magazine and seeing which ones allow it to stand out most effectively. This will insure that my magazine fits the styling of my artist as well as making a colour scheme that’s going to grab the attention of potential readers without being too overwhelming.

I like the way that the image of Rick Ross is on one side of the page and the text is on the other as it allows him to be centred on one side dominating the page, without him being behind the text where it will be difficult to read.
The idea that the image is placed on one side with the text on the other is a layout which I find particularly effective. I think the way it is separated allows the text to be placed somewhere that it can be read easily with nothing to distract it behind. Allowing the image to fill the a single page lets the artist dominate that page, drawing in readers to see what the double page spread is about.

I think the way a bold drop capital has been used is effective as it makes the text look more interesting to look at. The introduction paragraph is a feature which is also very effective as it gives the reader a basic idea of what the article is going to be about and introduces them to the artist who it is about. I like the way the quote ‘You ain’t seen nothing yet’ has been used as it is a short sentence that easily grabs the interest of the reader and draws them in to read further. Also the use of slang ‘Ain’t’ gives the reader an idea of the artist’s personality and maybe targets younger age groups (16+).  I also like the phrase, ‘He arrested speakers nationwide’, in the text as this music genre can sometimes relate to violence and lawlessness, yet it subverted where Rick Ross is doing the ‘Arresting.’
When considering the language styles for my double page spread, I will have to think about what will fit into the magazine effectively, as well as what will seem realistic in relation to my model. Although I will definitely utilize the use of a drop capital in my article, where I am considering to have it being set behind the writing in the same colour as my chosen colour scheme.

I’d say the image of Rick Ross may be developing or even challenging the conventions of usual hip hop photography. Although it is a long shot in which he is covering the entire left hand page, you would usually expect an artist from this genre to be wearing informal clothing such as a hoodie; yet Rick Ross is dressed in a smart black suit which presents him as being someone of power and class. The way he is casually holding a champagne glass and lifting his head high, not looking towards the camera demonstrates his wealth and masculinity. I think the use of props, balloons, champagne, sunglasses, expensive suits and jewellery reinforces his dominance in the music industry and definitely portrays the ‘high life’ that famous people occupy.
When taking photos of my model, I don’t plan to challenge the conventions of clothing too much as I think the styling has to look realistic due to who I am taking photos of. I like the idea of having items of clothing such as hoodies as well as some jewellery as it doesn’t make the article look too serious or formal; that way I would expect people who are interested in hip hop to be more intrigued to read the spread.

I think the title is something which specifically makes this page stand out, the way it is called ‘Man Made’ tells the audience that he got to where he is successfully today out of his own determination and hard work. But then underneath it has been cleverly reflected as ‘Made man’ suggesting that he has been successful in this determination and has made it to where he wants to be. This meaning makes it stand out effectively as well as the way it is bold and black, standing out prominently against the white background.
I think the heading on this double page spread is very clever and effective, but looking at other magazines, many choose to use the artists name in bold which I think is just as effective. Even though it is simple, it emphasises the dominance of the artist and shows the reader that the artist doesn’t need a catchy slogan or title to draw in the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment