Saturday 28 April 2012

Music Magazine Analysis: Double Page Spread #2



Double Page Spread Analysis #2
This double page spread featuring Nicki Minaj challenges normal conventions of language that is commonly used in hip hop magazines; where the text is set up as the 10 commandments. Normally you’d expect a lot of slang and swearing, where as the language in this spread is reasonably articulate with the odd piece of slang like ‘Gonna.’ I think the use of religious words and phrases such as ‘Thou shalt..’ and ‘Gospel’ opens up and draws the attention of people who would maybe be put off by bad language which is commonly seen in this genre.
I like the commandment idea that has been utilized in this double page spread; it presents readers with Nicki Minaj’s own personality and attitude in this genre of music. I will definitely make use of language which I think will fit realistically with my story and my model in order for my spread to be as effective as it can be.

I like the styling of this page as a whole, it’s not set out too structured which in a way presents the artist careless and free willed personality. Although it isn’t arranged that organised it is still easy to distinguish as there are bold subheadings above each piece of text, each beginning with ‘Thou..’ set out like Nicki Minaj’s own set of commandments. The styling and colour scheme using bright pinks and bold patterns and colours really establishes the artist, relating to her recent album ‘Pink Friday’, and presents the reader with her individual style and approach to music.
I will utilize the idea of choosing a colour scheme regarding the styling of my model that will establish her effectively.  I don’t think I will make use of the unorganised layout of text , after looking at other magazines, I think having the image filling one side of the page and the text filling the other is just as effective which is what I will consider making use of then creating my magazine.

The way pink is the main colour for this double page spread doesn’t just establish her recent album, but shows how feminine she is even though she is in what would be considered to be a male dominating music genre. This alongside the powerful phrases where Nicki Minaj is described as being ‘The Queen’ and ‘Saviour’ of hip hop really emphasises her influential and significant place in this genre.
When writing up my article for my featured artist I will consider wording, phrases and quotes that I would like to include which will make my double page spread look intriguing as well as establishing the personality of my artist and informing the reader as to what she is about.

I also think the image alone is very effective in drawing in potential readers, just by looking at her facial expression and her individual styling, you can tell she is a one of a kind, exceptional artist; bringing a new perspective into hip hop with her crazy personality. The way she is positioned just off centre shows that she is dominating the page, being somewhere that she can be partially on each side without her being distorted by the fold of the page.
When taking photos of my model I will carefully consider what expressions and poses will be effective and suitable regarding my artist. I would like to show the reader the artists’ personality through the imagery whilst keeping it looking realistic and professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment