Saturday 28 April 2012

Music Magazine Analysis: Double Page Spread #3



Double Page Spread Analysis #3
First of all, the element that I think would really draw in a reader is the image. It is a close up of Wiz Khalifa which is set filling the whole left hand page of the double page spread. Wiz Khalifa is an artist who is commonly seen to be smoking in most pictures you see of him, so this is almost a signature thing which establishes what kind of artist he is. This is something which is a convention as this genre of music is stereotypically related to drugs. I like how they have chosen a slogan underneath saying ‘How high?’ to fit with the image and the common subject in Wiz’s songs.
The idea of having the image filling one side of the double page spread and the text filling the other is one of the layout designs that I am considering utilizing for my own magazine. Yet I don’t intend to relate my spread to drugs as I think I would like to challenge this convention and show another side to this genre.

I think the title is effective, even though being very simple ‘WK’ being the artists initials. It immediately displays the recognisability of Wiz Khalifa as his full name wasn’t needed to be used in order for people to know who this piece of text is about.
Although the use of initials is effective in this case, I think the use of a full name in bold would maybe stand out more and draw a readers interest slightly more effectively.

The colour scheme has been used effectively, with touches of orange included through the text and within the image. I think just enough colour has been used to draw in readers, without having to be overpowered with colour, otherwise it wouldn’t fit together with the artists personal style. The way they have shown his tattoos and jewellery builds on the stereotypical expectation of an artist in the hip hop genre.  Although tattoos are commonly seen, because they are all different allows him to show his individuality and persona.
I will definitely make use of the idea of using touches of colour throughout my double page spread, I feel it keeps the reader interested in all aspects of the page, without it being overwhelming.

The language in the text does include bad language, which is a feature that is expected from someone within this music genre. I like how it includes references to other artist in relation to what he’s doing in the future. I think this keeps the reader interested and engaged whilst reading through the text.
I don’t necessarily intend to use swearing within my text as I don’t think it would fit in realistically with who my model is or what I plan the text to be about. Information about what my artist is planning for the future is definitely a topic that I intend to include to keep readers interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment